Bits of Iraq from a fellow Detroit gboy's view . . .


Following is a e-mail message from a Detroit friend who is over in Iraq fighting the Bush War. As you will be able to tell by his writing he is a very interesting person with a different take on life! (did you expect me to hang with boring types). The photos are from his first tour of duty last year. bad glasses YES but - who is the latin was my first question to him ! !
From: "Never Say Never"
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 04:22:44 -0600
Subject: Dustbin Dispatch from Babylon
DUSTBIN DISPATCH FROM BABYLON
Well Hello There My Fine Feathered Friend!
"Here I am!" Things are good, things are busy, and Haji is as frisky
as ever. It's an 8 day a week job over here. Those sneaky little
terrorist buggers certainly do try their best to cramp my style, and
no matter how pesky they may be, I keep on truckin'. And since I have
diarrhea of the mouth, or brain, or whatever you call it when you're
not actually speaking, but writing, err, typing, I shall tell you a
little bit about my life in the crusty wellspring of the cradle of
civilization.
Well it's winter over here in the former Kingdom of Sumeria, and
although it seems that the rest of the world thinks it's always a
blazing hot desert over here, there actually is a real winter, and
it's delightfully nasty! The temperatures get down in the 20's and
30's at night, and then rise to the 50's or 60's in the day. And this
is the rainy season, so that means dealing with cold, wet, and mud.
mmmm, yummm. There is a spot of graffiti on one of the fortification
walls of our base that states, "Mud City ->" with an arrow. Quite
apropos. It has been a week since the last rain, but the mud is still
like chocolate cha-cha everywhere. But shucks, no snow!
Then throw into the mix that this place is like the Detroit of the
Middle East, and lacks some serious natural beauty like trees, but has
an overabundance of trash piles and scattered debris to suit any
Feng-Shui. So to that end - I do not recommend starting a postcard
business here in Iraq.
Although the temps are adequate for snow, there is something about the
topography that negates that possibility. Yet I still pray to the snow
god, and eagerly spread rumors of snow over here, just to trifle with
the people.
What this place really needs are some trees, and about three daylight
savings times in a row. And sure, Martha Stewart could make an
absolute killing here too. But she'd have to change her name to
Mohammed Stewart, and wear a man-dress. The subjugation of women is
still en vogue, although anything having to do with any sort of
quality control is overseen by the fairer sex.
You will also find it interesting to note that not everybody looks the
part of the swarthy Arab, and that is because the Arabs do not make up
the majority of the Middle East, they primarily occupy a strip amidst
the middle of Asia Minor. So it is quite normal to find light skinned
Iraqis with blue, green, or hazel eyes and European facial features.
And every once in a while you will see a blond/sandy haired Iraqi.
This land is reminiscent of what I believe Stalingrad to have looked
like: an interminable/total wasteland where chaos and the detritus of
a shattered society take on a perverse art like quality. Yet out of
the rubble and scum you will find pockets of beauty just like oases in
the desert. Places where the palm and date groves are lush along the
banks of the Tigris River, and a thick green velvet like Spanish moss
covers the terra firma. And like gems in a crown, mosques dot the
landscape with a prevalence only rivaled by the Baptist churches of
the southern US. Five times a day the muzzeins call the faithful and
ignorant alike to prayer, or at least to bend an ear. Their songs of
prayer, like apostolic liturgical chants with a medieval flavor, are
both similar and different at the same time. Haunting and beckoning,
with a soulful yearning, the Imams call out from the minarets.
Well let me head you off at the political pass regarding the news
about the ramp-up in troop strength. To answer your as yet unasked
question about the current increase in troop numbers on the ground
here in the spicy areas of Iraq. What is my take on this situation,
and how do I feel about it? Frankly, to be quite honest, if it leads
to me getting a date while I am over here in the Sandbox, then Hooah!
I am all for it!
Oh - I have now been anointed. And knighted with the noble name Abu
Shaebe. A title of respect based on my grey hair and some small
negotiations I handled between the US military, Iraqi police force,
and the local nationals in a rather feisty town on the banks of the
Tigris. Now I just gotta get a shemagh, dish-dash, and a harem. A
flock of sheep wouldn't hurt either. :->
It appears that I have come to the end of my discourse herein. So
without further ado, I bid you adieu.
Best wishes and best regards to all!
Ciao for now,
-Wilson
P.S.: If you have not seen/rented any of the comedy routines of Eddie
Izzard, then I command you to check them out Pronto, Tonto!
1 comment:
Davide,
Thanks for sharing the dispatch. It's illuminating to read something directly from one of the boys.
Tell your handsome friend to keep his head down and be careful.
Post a Comment