Thursday, March 01, 2007

what's new

so, I gotta post about something to get that awful picture of me downpage so that I won't see it anymore. I guess that I could just delete it, but then Boyer will accuse me of editing to make myself look better. which I'm not above, in theory, by the way.

so, guess, what? I went to a week-long culinary class last week! and it was great. And I was thinking on posting about it each night, but it was pretty exhausting. so instead, I'll write now. in parts.

Overview

So although cooking has been my biggest hobby for more than 20 years, as most of y'all know (Boyer, you've been my friend for nearly 20 years! did ya know that? well, at least you've known me for nearly that long) this class sounded great. Coz as my buddy Robin says: Self-taught cooks don't always get a thing right.

When I broached the subject with my boss, no problem. what? yes. she was excited, saw how great the opp was, how directly applied to work. I didn't even need to drop into plan B or plan C (I had worked out elaborate arugments and strategies; if they wouldn't pay, then would they at least give me the time off? etc.).

There were only 6 people in the class and the structure was that we would cook all day for five days, broken down into different categories by day.

Monday: Knife skills & butchering

Tuesday: Proteins and all the cooking methods

Wednesday: Sauces

Thursday: Vegetables & starches

Friday: Flavor dynamics, menu planning and final exam (making up a menu on the spot and then cooking it up)

We made 6 to 8 to 9 things a day. It was exhausting and really cool.

More later

... by the way, I won't be the cook in PV. well, not every day.

No comments: