Andrew Sullivan and the Future
Andrew Sullivan's blog has become difficult to read in recent months. He's on a crusade to get the Bush administration to reverse its torture policy. Most days consist of long rants. I admire him taking on this important issue and perhaps as a Republican he understands how very poorly history will look upon this administration and the irreparable damage it has done. Nonetheless, Andrew also wrote an interesting article about the future of gay life. Today he quotes an email from an 18 year-old who thanks him for the article and the appreciation it has given him for the struggle that gay people had to go through in the past. He himself does not have that struggle today; Out to friends and family and absolutely no issues. Now self-congratulation is total Andrew ( I feel I can call him that because I seem to constantly be reminded here that he is a friend of X or Y) but if this is the direction of things, I am warmly impressed.
I am reading Thomas Friedman's "The World Is Flat" about globalization. It's hard to believe that Netscape went public only 10 years ago and how quickly technology has changed and is changing or world. It's heady and scary.
Speaking of which, what is going on in the world of the Tribune, Joe? The newspaper industry seems to be going through some shocks of its own.
1 comment:
Gregorio!
Interesting post on Andrew. I need to check out that article.
Just bought and ripped through the latest installment, "How's Your Romance (the second "final" book), of Ethan Mordden's "Buddies" series on Manhatten gay life told through the lives of his friends. Really excellent, but it helps to have read all the others. Anywho, somes stories have a similar theme of how the previous generation of gays (us) broke through in many ways for the 20-ish boys of today. And of course, we all know about and respect the ones who came before us, but really, we were the first to be really out at work, etc.
Think about the lies and pronoun changing etc. you did with work friends on your first job 20 years ago (that's 30 years ago for older types, Boyer). But now we've got partner benefits and such.
Post a Comment