broken

Greg's post deserves a picture to go with. The original Annie Proulx story describes one of the characters as "cave-chested." Didn't quite understand that, myself, but one gets the idea that these two dudes were not modern gay perfection.
Novelist David Leavitt, whom I have admired and consumed since his first collection of stories, "Family Dancing" in 1983, points out (in a deftly written piece that covers much more) that the actors chosen for the film are more handsome/beautiful than the characters described by Proulx. No matter. One can easily understand the need/desire for Ang Lee to make the actors who carry his film at least look stunning.
One cannot easily deny him this. And yes, who among us is not grateful? What, Lee should have cast some geeks? We want the visuals, man!
Still, the power of the story can come through.
1 comment:
I've read this comment about the appearance of Heath and Jake other places. Amen on the visuals. I did not think it took away from the film at all. I think the photo shows them as handsome, but not over the line.
I agree about Proulx's writing, Joe. That is truly the magic here. I read the story before seeing the film and felt no less impacted by it.
Enjoy.
Post a Comment